SCR finalizes redevelopment works of Nellore Railway Station
Contract has been awarded for Upgradation of Nellore station at an estimated cost of over Rs. 102 Cr (approx)
As part of ‘Redevelopment of Railway Stations’ to provide world class amenities with elegant features, SCR has now taken another crucial step for the up-gradation of Nellore Railway Station with world class facilities. The Contract for undertaking this crucial work developmental works has been awarded to and it is targeted to complete within 21 months period.
Nellore Railway station falls under the purview of Vijayawada Division and is located along the important grand trunk route. Apart from that, it is one of the important District headquarters in the State of Andhra Pradesh and has got a special importance with large number of travelling public for both pilgrim and commercial purposes. At present, the station is witnessing the footfall of around 30, 000 and is expected to be much more in the coming days. Hence, Railway board has instructed South Central Railway to take up the redevelopment of Nellore station as part of “Major upgradation of Railway Stations”.
Accordingly, SCR has conceptualized a master plan to integrate the station complex with world class facilities, infrastructure facilities and passenger amenities to provide a seamless experience to the rail users. The brief of works that are undertaken under upgradation of Nellore station include:
- Construction of West Side Station Building with Ground + 2 floors
- Extension of East Side Station Building with Ground + 1 floor
- Refurbishment of both existing West and East Side Station Buildings with modern and elegant façade
- Construction of wide Air Concourse connecting to all Platforms i.e., 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- Extension of existing subway to both east and west directions to connect it to platform number four and arrival concourse areas on both sides
- Improvements to Existing platform surface on all platforms
- Construction of New Cover over Platforms on all platforms
- Arrangements of water supply Underground and Overhead tanks
- Construction of water treatment and Sewage treatment plants
Shri Arun Kumar Jain, General Manager (In-charge) in this regard has said that the Redeveloped Nellore railway station will surely catch the attention of rail users with seamless experience. He stated that the Zone is committed to the upgradation of important Railway stations on priority basis to suit the requirements of all segments of people and to cater the future needs. He also instructed the Officials to extend full cooperation to the executing authority so as the entire process is completed within stipulated time.