TS : Nine trapped in Srisailam power station fire mishap
A major fire broke out in one of the underground hydel power units of Srisailam project on Thursday night. The incident occurred at the fourth panel in the first hydel power unit of the left power house at around 10.30pm.
About 15-20 persons were on duty at the time of the incident. While 15 staff came out immediately, nine reportedly were stuck in the power house.
According to officials, there were no casualties. The injured include deputy engineers and assistant engineers. They were immediately shifted to a hospital.
Telangana energy minister G Jagadishwar Reddy and Genco chairman along with managing director D Prabhakar Rao rushed to the spot on immediately. Telangana Genco and AP Genco also participated in the rescue and relief measures.
“Four panels got damaged due to the fire accident. Smoke spread to the unit immediately. Though the staff switched off the power, they could not go ahead with the rescue operations due to smoke. The injured were immediately rushed to the hospital,” Jagadish Reddy said.
Chief minister K Chandrashekhar Rao expressed shock over the incident. He has been eliciting information on the accident on a regular basis. The CM also spoke to Jagdeesh Reddy and Transco, Genco CMD D Prabhakar Rao about the relief and rescue measures.